Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

 
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Harvard Study: Media Anti-Trump
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Harvard Study: Media Anti-Trump

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 19391
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harvard Study: Media Anti-Trump
    Posted: May 19 2017 at 10:37am
A major new study out of Harvard University has revealed the true extent of the mainstream media’s bias against Donald Trump.

Academics at the Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy analyzed coverage from Trump’s first 100 days in office across 10 major TV and print outlets.

They found that the tone of some outlets was negative in as many as 98% of reports, significantly more hostile than the first 100 days of the three previous administrations:



The academics based their study on seven US outlets and three European ones.

In America they analyzed CNN, NBC, CBS, Fox News, the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.

They also took into account the BBC, the UK’s Financial Times and the German public broadcaster ARD.

Every outlet was negative more often than positive.

Only Fox News, which features some of Trump’s most enthusiastic supporters and is often given special access to the President, even came close to positivity.

Fox was ranked 52% negative and 48% positive.

The study also divided news items across topics. On immigration, healthcare, and Russia, more than 85% of reports were negative.

On the economy, the proportion was more balanced – 54% negative to 46% positive:



The study highlighted one exception: Trump got overwhelmingly positive coverage for launching a cruise missile attack on Syria.

Around 80% of all reports were positive about that.

The picture was very different for other recent administrations. The study found that President Obama’s first 100 days got a good write-up overall – with 59% of reports positive.

Bill Clinton and George W Bush got overall negative coverage, it found, but to a much lesser extent than Trump. Clinton’s first 100 days got 40% positivity, while Bush’s got 43%:



Trump has repeatedly claimed that his treatment by the media is unprecedented in its hostility.

This study suggests that, at least when it comes to recent history, he’s right.


Fair Use


The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
basser View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 287
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 11:33pm
Galatians 6:7-9   "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap." This is pretty clear to me folks.
Back to Top
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Aug 01 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1215
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 8:34am
I'm not sure anyone would argue that the "mainstream media" (I term that I despise) has a majority of owners who lean left.  Just as I would assume that the ownership of oil companies would lean right.  Certain industries tend to lean one way or the other and always have.  So, in that regard, I would always assume that the media would be a little more tough on a Republican.  However, I would love to see the reverse study done by Harvard which would highlight how each President treated the press.  How many favorable things or negative things each President said about the press, etc.  There's a give and take here that this study does not seem to include.  As they say, it takes two to tango.
Back to Top
KryttosArcadia View Drop Down
Voice Immigrant
Voice Immigrant


Joined: Aug 31 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 19
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KryttosArcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by vegasmayor vegasmayor wrote:

I'm not sure anyone would argue that the "mainstream media" (I term that I despise) has a majority of owners who lean left.  Just as I would assume that the ownership of oil companies would lean right.  Certain industries tend to lean one way or the other and always have.  So, in that regard, I would always assume that the media would be a little more tough on a Republican.  However, I would love to see the reverse study done by Harvard which would highlight how each President treated the press.  How many favorable things or negative things each President said about the press, etc.  There's a give and take here that this study does not seem to include.  As they say, it takes two to tango.


I agree. Trump is the biggest cause of his own bad media exposure. Especially considering the man today said he just GOT BACK from the middle east, in front of Israelis, in Israel ....
Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 19391
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 10:48am
Originally posted by vegasmayor vegasmayor wrote:

I'm not sure anyone would argue that the "mainstream media" (I term that I despise) has a majority of owners who lean left.  Just as I would assume that the ownership of oil companies would lean right.  Certain industries tend to lean one way or the other and always have.  So, in that regard, I would always assume that the media would be a little more tough on a Republican.  However, I would love to see the reverse study done by Harvard which would highlight how each President treated the press.  How many favorable things or negative things each President said about the press, etc.  There's a give and take here that this study does not seem to include.  As they say, it takes two to tango.

And which way does the gun industry lean?
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Aug 01 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1215
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Originally posted by vegasmayor vegasmayor wrote:

I'm not sure anyone would argue that the "mainstream media" (I term that I despise) has a majority of owners who lean left.  Just as I would assume that the ownership of oil companies would lean right.  Certain industries tend to lean one way or the other and always have.  So, in that regard, I would always assume that the media would be a little more tough on a Republican.  However, I would love to see the reverse study done by Harvard which would highlight how each President treated the press.  How many favorable things or negative things each President said about the press, etc.  There's a give and take here that this study does not seem to include.  As they say, it takes two to tango.

And which way does the gun industry lean?

Surely you know the answer to this question, John.  The gun industry has a clear affinity for Republicans.  But the financial success of the gun industry is FAR greater under a Democratic administration.  The gun industry is an anomaly.  It also thrives in the worst of times no matter who the party in charge happens to be - 9/11, school shootings, concert explosions, etc.
Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 19391
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 11:24am
So being in the gun industry, does that make you a republican? Or are you an anomaly?
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Aug 01 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1215
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

So being in the gun industry, does that make you a republican? Or are you an anomaly?

Why would one lead directly to the other?  Is everyone in media automatically a Democrat?  
Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 19391
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 3:54pm
You said, "Certain industries tend to lean one way or the other and always have. "
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Aug 01 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1215
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

You said, "Certain industries tend to lean one way or the other and always have. "

I also said "owners" and "ownership" of such companies.  You left that part out.  I do not and will never own a company in the firearms industry.  

Are you doubting that the majority of owners in certain industries tend to lean one way or another?  Would you say, for instance, that the majority of owners in the tech industry lean a certain direction?  What about farming and forestry?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

The Voice | Weather | Advertisers | Advertising Information | Lending Library | Monroe Church Directory

Archived Monroe News From: 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011

Website Design © Xponex Web and Media Services | Contact | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2012 MainStreetMonroe.com