Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

 
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - On a hot streak!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


On a hot streak!

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Matt_Steele View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 3475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_Steele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On a hot streak!
    Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 11:24am
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/10/13/nasa_earth_just_experienced_the_warmest_six_month_stretch_ever.html?wpsrc=fol_tw


Over the weekend, NASA announced that last month was the warmest September since global records have been kept. What’s more, the last six months were collectively the warmest middle half of the year in NASA’s records—dating back to 1880.
(snip)
Recent research shows the current warm stretch is probably the planet’s warmest inat least 4,000 years. That means global temperatures may have already passed a level that human civilization has never experienced. The sheer size and depth of the world’s oceans means that most of global warming’s extra heat has been stored there. For the last decade or so, atmospheric warming has been playing catch up.
Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 3:06pm
Librull conspiracy.

Wink
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Online
Points: 19291
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 5:28pm
How do scientists know the average temperature of the earth from 4000 years ago? 
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 8:27am
here comes to graph he can't explain.  it's coming.  just wait for it.
Back to Top
Matt_Steele View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 3475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_Steele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 8:40am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

How do scientists know the average temperature of the earth from 4000 years ago? 

There's actually a lot of ways to measure it. Here's a few websites that give a nice overview


Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Online
Points: 19291
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 9:36am
I'm not convinced with the exactness of the science. Just as I don't trust meteorological science.

Scientific theory sometimes evolves but often changes 180 degrees. Therefore I do not trust scientists until their theorems are proven. 

While I agree that humans affect the world's ecosystem, I'm not sure the earth really cares so much. 
Like a free market, the earth will adjust automatically to new environmental inputs and outputs from people and pets.  

When comparing on order of magnitude, one solar flare or one major volcanic eruption can impact the world's environment many times more in a single event than all of the combined human environmental output from the beginning of man's existence. 




The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
MFD50 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Dec 24 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2182
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFD50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 11:39am
Evolution! What a joke. There are so many missing parts of the puzzle to make evolution work. It is the biggest scam of mankind. Where are all the other fossilized parts that link us to some kind of monkey or reptile. My forefathers were not single-celled animals. They were created by the One True God from the dust of this earth that He created and breathed into life from His own being.
Back to Top
zapp2525 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Jan 11 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 2435
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapp2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 11:42am
4000 years ago how about 2014 years ago
Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 2:18pm
Denialism is growing problem in America today. We large numbers of citizens who are in denial about one or more basic fields of science: evolution, vaccinations, climatology, etc. Denial is a means by which people hold on to ideologies that are threatened by reality and preserve a sense of control over a world they cannot directly manage. Every form of denial tends to make use of the same tactics. This is may be because no matter what the topic, denialism stems from common mental processes.

1. Conspiracies Everywhere!

Being a denialist means not only being in a minority, but knowing that you are in a minority. You can't be an effective denialist if you don't understand that most people, and especially those with any sort of authority, disagree with you. Denialism requires that you be able to effectively explain this and the best way is also a time-honored one: it's a conspiracy!

No matter who disagrees with you and no matter what reasons they offer, the "real" reason is always that they are part of a massive conspiracy against you. There is a nefarious plot afoot which is designed to suppress the truth in the service of some ideology — an evil one, of course. This makes you a brave warrior fighting for truth, justice, and the people.

2. Cherry-Picking Evidence
It may become depressing to keep finding evidence that supports the conspirators' case, but if you're persistent enough you're bound to stumble across little nuggets of information which, if presented just right will appear to support the real truth. Yes, it's strange that the truth wouldn't be more obviously supported by the evidence but this is just one more sign of the extent to which the conspiracy against the truth has been successful. The lack of obvious evidence is proof that the world needs you to cherry-pick any evidence you can find.

3. Logical Fallacies

If you allow your arguments to be limited to the rules of logic, you'll be playing by the rules of the conspirators — and when you do that, you're almost guaranteeing that you'll lose. That would be unacceptable! You have a duty to truth that far outweighs any minor importance that logic might have. This means that if you think you can better make your case with a logical fallacy, then you shouldn't hesitate to do so. Most people don't have a clue about logic or logical fallacies anyway, so the chance that anyone will notice is small. Convincing more people of the truth is what matters, not how you do it.
Is Your Blood Sugar Controlled? Info on Type 2 Diabetes Management.
Lexington Law Can Help You! Free Credit Report & Analysis

4. Fake Experts

Despite the fact that all the most important authority figures are part of the evil conspiracy against you, it's only natural that you'll develop some envy for the credibility that their authority brings them. You can counter this by creating your own fake experts — and it's OK to have "fakes" since it's really in the service of a "truth" that's being suppressed. Most people don't know the different between legitimate experts and fake experts anyway, so what's the harm? It's better to use fake experts who have no real authority or expertise than to let the truth be silence any longer.

5. Impossible Standards

Given the size and power of the conspiracy against you, it would be unwise to play fair. Remember that the conspirators are try to suppress the truth and that it's your job to stop them. You shouldn’t make it easy on them by giving them easy standards of evidence or logic to meet. Instead, you should make the standards impossible, always making things harder if they ever appear to be coming close to the demands you place on them. The harder you make things on the conspirators, the harder it will be for them to maintain their lies.
Hundreds of Exclusive REO Listings. Don't Miss Out, Auctions End Weekly

6. When in Doubt, Encourage Doubt

Sometimes you won't be able to convince people of the truth, but you can at least get them to doubt the conspiracy that is so popular. Preventing them from being blindly convinced of the lies spread by the conspirators is itself a victory! Get people to believe that the so-called "authority figures" don't all agree with each other. Get people to believe that there is equal evidence for both sides. Prey upon people's sense of "fair play" by hyping the importance of teaching "both sides" of any debate. It doesn't matter whether you really believe any of this; what matters is that the interests of the truth are furthered.
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
zapp2525 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Jan 11 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 2435
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapp2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 2:34pm
I wonder why Disney came out with the move FROZEN this year instead of BAKING IN THE SUN Shocked


Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 2:58pm
See: WALL-E
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
Matt_Steele View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 3475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_Steele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

I'm not convinced with the exactness of the science. Just as I don't trust meteorological science.

Scientific theory sometimes evolves but often changes 180 degrees. Therefore I do not trust scientists until their theorems are proven. 

While I agree that humans affect the world's ecosystem, I'm not sure the earth really cares so much. 
Like a free market, the earth will adjust automatically to new environmental inputs and outputs from people and pets.  

When comparing on order of magnitude, one solar flare or one major volcanic eruption can impact the world's environment many times more in a single event than all of the combined human environmental output from the beginning of man's existence. 






I'm not sure scientific theory often changes 180 degrees. However I understand your point. In this case though, you should note that the articles didn't speak in absolutes. They used the words "probably" or "may have" etc. 

I don't think you'll get too many people claiming to know specifically what the EXACT temperature was 4000 years ago. They can, though, provide good estimates or even a range. 

Regarding your point about not trusting scientists until their theorems are proven, I have to say that I think you may be surprised at how few theorems are actually proven. When a theory is proven, it becomes a law. Here is a list of scientific laws: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_science

I think there's a lot of things you may believe about science/life in general that are not on there.


Also, while yes, the Earth "adapts" though it is not a living organism, it should be stated that that is exactly what the Earth is doing right now and that the outputs can be dangerous. It's adapting to inputs like chemicals in the air etc and becoming hotter. The result of its changes can be harmful to humans and the rest of the plants and animals.

Finally, yes, a super volcano eruption or a massive solar flare could disrupt the Earth's environment or its ability to host life more than humans could (though if we detonated all nuclear weapons at once, we could re-create some of that). Humans may think that they're the strongest and largest force, but galactically, it's only our egos that are that large. I don't think anyone is arguing that we're more powerful than anything like that during this global warming debate.
Back to Top
Matt_Steele View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 3475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_Steele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by MFD50 MFD50 wrote:

Evolution! What a joke. There are so many missing parts of the puzzle to make evolution work. It is the biggest scam of mankind. Where are all the other fossilized parts that link us to some kind of monkey or reptile. My forefathers were not single-celled animals. They were created by the One True God from the dust of this earth that He created and breathed into life from His own being.


Nah the biggest scam of all time is when teachers said that Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and Tyrannosaurus Rex all lived at the same time! I was so disappointed when I found out that wasn't true.

Also, Nigerian royalty scams. 
Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Matt_Steele Matt_Steele wrote:

Originally posted by MFD50 MFD50 wrote:

Evolution! What a joke. There are so many missing parts of the puzzle to make evolution work. It is the biggest scam of mankind. Where are all the other fossilized parts that link us to some kind of monkey or reptile. My forefathers were not single-celled animals. They were created by the One True God from the dust of this earth that He created and breathed into life from His own being.


Nah the biggest scam of all time is when teachers said that Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and Tyrannosaurus Rex all lived at the same time! I was so disappointed when I found out that wasn't true.

Also, Nigerian royalty scams. 


You mean the Prince I lent $1000 to was a scam? He promised me 8000x returns! I'm Ruined!!!
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Online
Points: 19291
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 2:38pm
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
Matt_Steele View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 3475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_Steele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:




This should clear up that cartoon for you
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by MFD50 MFD50 wrote:

It is the biggest scam of mankind.


Nope.

Not by a LONG shot
Back to Top
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council


Joined: Dec 31 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2014 at 12:38am
I guess this is where I'm supposed to apologize for voting in a minority president.

Because that is where all of these problems arose.

I should have voted in a wealthy, white. Truly American born Dude.



Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

The Voice | Weather | Advertisers | Advertising Information | Lending Library | Monroe Church Directory

Archived Monroe News From: 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011

Website Design © Xponex Web and Media Services | Contact | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2012 MainStreetMonroe.com