Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cagwin & City Council Discuss SRO 11/13/12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Monroe News View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cagwin & City Council Discuss SRO 11/13/12
    Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 1:50pm

Dr. Phil Cagwinby John Beagle

The Board of Education hired Dr. Phil Cagwin to be the interim Superintendent of the Monroe Local School District. Dr. Cagwin recently retired after spending the last ten years as Superintendent of Talawanda City Schools. He is contracted until the end of the 2012-2013 School Year.

The city of Monroe had paid for the a School Resource Officer (SRO) until the city fell into fiscal emergency eight years ago. At that time, police Chief Greg Homer said he worked out an agreement where the school would pay for the SRO while at the high school. Because of the district’s recent financial woes, the SRO position was cut in January and the officer was out of the school by March.

Tonight, Superintendent Cagwin (photo) will be addressing Monroe City Council regarding a School Resource Officer. 

I had  a brief discussion with Superintendent Cagwin earlier today. Here is that discussion:

Continued

Monroe, Ohio Breaking News
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 1:55pm
Do you think the city should pick up the tab for the SRO? Can the city afford that?
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Happy HarperValley R View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy HarperValley R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:02pm
Of course THEY CAN!  Why not!

Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Do you think the city should pick up the tab for the SRO? Can the city afford that?
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:12pm
This is all simply my opinion but I think proper staffing levels for our emergency services folks should be our first priority.

The budget and fiscal health of our community is an integral part of making that happen. We need to make sure that we are able and willing to make the adjustments necessary to accomplish our most important task; to protect our citizens.

Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:26pm
Thanks for sharing your opinion councilman. It's good to know where you stand on this issue.
-Joseph Campbell
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy HarperValley R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:34pm
Careful Doc...
Are you implying the children are not citizens and do not have a right to be protected at the school?
The school cannot afford this!
So of course the City should shoulder the expense!
Get on board!  It is the civic duty of every entity to make this happen for the schools and the children!  And anything else they may need!
I am for it!
thegoodrichfam View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoodrichfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

This is all simply my opinion but I think proper staffing levels for our emergency services folks should be our first priority.

The budget and fiscal health of our community is an integral part of making that happen. We need to make sure that we are able and willing to make the adjustments necessary to accomplish our most important task; to protect our citizens.

Doc,

Couldn't agree more. The school district now has the levy passed and needs to work on getting out of the state of fiscal emergency first. Meanwhile the city needs to concentrate on training and maintaining emergency staff. They are critical to the city because the provide 24/7 protection to all citizens, regardless of age or location.

Also, thank you for the reading material Doc, that was very informative. Monroe schools and the City can apply for specific grants to help pay for an SRO as well. I still think that until the school can dig itself out of fiscal emergency can the cost for an SRO to be fairly split between the school and city.

Has anyone on the City Council or School Board researched into these Grants further? Have any of them been applied for? Who is the Regional Representative for SRO in the Monroe area?
zapp2525 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapp2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 3:08pm
If the district wants that luxury, they need to pay for it using school funds.  City funds should be used for the city.
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:02am
Live Blogging:

Beagle: What did the city decide about SRO?
Brock: Council directed the position to be funded from the first of the year through the end of the school year.

To be continued 
-Joseph Campbell
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy HarperValley R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:25am
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Hurray for the kids!

And just for giggles...How much is this gonna cost the city to provide??

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
zapp2525 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapp2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:33am
How do I go about getting a SRO to be positioned at the end of my street ?
Prada View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:43am
Thank you Monroe city council!   Studies show this is a good utilization of city services in a local school district,
Bob Kelley View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bob Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:20am
The shame of it is we did not start as soon as we could. A motion was made to put the SRO back in asap and that failed. I guess January is better that nothing but I wish we could have agreed to provide this service today.
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:45am
Here's a brief summary from the Department of Justice on some of the benefits of deploying an SRO. It's helpful to read up on some of these things so you that don't mistakenly believe that an SRO isn't "really necessary" in a town like ours and so that you can see the real benefit in it.

I've learned that gathering information from all available resources and not just "some random dude" is key to making the most rational and well-informed decisions.

Before they began their SRO programs, many police and sheriff's departments
contacted for the study reported that they had had to send patrol officers or road
deputies to schools to handle problems several times a week or even several times a
day, sometimes tying up the officers or deputies for hours at a time. As a result, law
enforcement administrators felt, or subsequently discovered, that placing officers in
the schools as SROs would—and did—reduce and even eliminate 911 and other
calls for service for regular patrol officers. The drastic reduction or complete
elimination of these calls from schools is a major reason some departments in the
study are willing to help pay for their programs. 

• The chief of the Garner, North Carolina, Police Department reported that the number
one reason he fought so hard for the SRO position was that road officers "were
already having to spend a number of hours a week investigating crimes at the
school; it only made sense to position an officer at the school full time."

• According to Sergeant Paul Marchand, the program supervisor in Salem, New
Hampshire, "We pay for the program because, by assigning officers to the
schools, we free up manpower on the street. Before we had SROs, we were
constantly sending patrol officers to the schools. It makes sense from a
deployment point of view to have officers in the schools rather than send over
patrol officers whenever there is a problem. The high school has 2,300 kids and
200 staff; it's a small town." 

• Based on an analysis of 911 calls in 1999 before the program began and again in
2001 after the SROs were in the schools, the Stark County Sheriff's Office in Ohio
documented that that road deputies were spared having to respond to
approximately 280 calls in 2001 because SROs handled them (see the discussion
on "Empirical Evidence" below for additional information about these data). 

• The assistant chief of a police department reported that, at a meeting on
department budget cuts that he was going to be attending, he was not going to
even raise the idea of cutting the SRO program. "While some department
personnel feel the program takes too many officers away from patrol duties," he
observed, "they don't realize the calls SROs take and prevent. SROs deal with
problems which would otherwise go to 911."

• Students come to realize that, with an SRO stationed in the school, they are
likely to be arrested if they commit a crime because an officer is there to
witness it—or because faculty or other students are quick to report the behavior
to the SRO without the need to call the police department or sheriff's office (an
important element of effective community policing—involving the community in
crime prevention). 

• SROs report over and over again that "good kids"—and even some
troublemakers—will tell the officers when they feel a crime is going to happen so
it can be prevented because they feel a sense of duty to protect their schools
or for their own personal safety they do not want criminal behavior
occurring in their schools. Former high school principal Paul Houlihan in Palm
Beach County said, "I can't count the number of times in the past that this kind of
prevention work with student informants has prevented more serious problems
from breaking out on campus." 

• The improved communication that an SRO program creates between the
law enforcement agency and school district results in "extracurricular"
sharing of information that helps to prevent crime. An SRO in West Orange
said, "The transfer of intelligence between the schools and the [juvenile] bureau
has allowed the department to respond proactively to potential youth-related
problems. If there has been a fight between students over the weekend and the
bureau believes the dispute may carry over to school on Monday, the SRO
reports this to school administrators even before classes begin so they can take
steps to prevent anything from developing." 
Prada View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:31pm
Bob, so people voted against starting now but were for delaying 45 days? What was the difference?
Thanks doc, I have looked at the studies and this is a needed city service.
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy HarperValley R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:51pm
Cost please???
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:34pm
It would be hard to give a quick cost benefit analysis for our specific situation. I suspect the question you're asking is how much it will cost to simply pay the SRO for 6 months but that doesn't tell the whole story.

In the DOJ story I added on the other page, it outlines some of the budgetary benefits of having a dedicated SRO. There are other benefits to this that would offset the "cost" of the SRO including fuel, vehicle usage, dispatch support, incident report generation time, etc. etc. There are also intangibles associated with this position that make it hard to quantify and are riddled with "what-if" scenarios.

I know that doesn't answer your question and I'm sorry about that.
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy HarperValley R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:53pm

How will the city budget and account for the salary/benefits of the officer?

I understand that when you have an employee there is a cost before any Govt credits are applied.
So do you have an idea of those costs before any grant amounts are assessed?
That would only make it a plus as the costs are reduced when and if monies are applied to offset.
Just curious as to the maximum anticipated out of pocket for this service to the city.
Since this is not something the city has funded before - just curious which fund will be tapped to account for the expense.

Does that make sense?
I am truly curious.
blueblood View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 6:56am
Thank you council for reinstating this program. The benefits of this will far exceed whatever the costs, and have a much more positive impact on our community than the alternative daily schedule/duties that would be conducted during this time.
If personnel have not been added, and any planned reductions did not exist prior to implementation, then any cost would be absorbed by operations, and the impact, though real, would be difficult to calculate in real numbers.JMO

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
Mark Twain
Ursosju25 View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ursosju25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:49am
Thank you council for approving this. The safety of our children should always come first!!! No questions asked!
Check out my weather Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SouthwestOhioWeatherIf you are looking to get in shape visit:www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/1662/monroe-oh-45050or shoot me an email!
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy HarperValley R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:13am
Oh for Gods sake people!
Did anyone happen to think that maybe the schools (and at one time the city itself) got into the messes they have because no one asked "How much does that cost?" and went with Urso's philosophy of "Need it no matter what the cost is!"

Geez, when will this town learn that it is NEVER a bad thing to ask, total cost? Where are the funds allocated from? Length of time the service will be needed to be shouldered by the city? Etc??

Maybe - just maybe, if someone had the foresight to ask some of these questions in the beginning we would not be in such a place right now?

Its done, its been decided and as a citizen I want to know what exactly is being provided, how it is being paid for and where it should be placed in the books as an expense.  I'm not arguing to take it back or don't do it - just trying to be informed and stay informed like ALL good citizens should.
That way no one later can say..."well if you were so concerned then why did you only wait til after the fact to ask questions"...
WAKE UP!Shocked
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:26am
Wow.  Who was attacking you, HHVR?  Why are you getting bent out of shape?  I didn't even see anyone question why you were asking questions.  Maybe, just maybe, people respect your questions yet STILL have formed their own opinion on this one and think it's a good idea.  Isn't that possible?  You are extremely defensive when people don't agree with you.

thegoodrichfam View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegoodrichfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Happy HarperValley R Happy HarperValley R wrote:

Of course THEY CAN! Why not!
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Originally posted by Happy HarperValley R Happy HarperValley R wrote:

Oh for Gods sake people!
Did anyone happen to think that maybe the schools (and at one time the city itself) got into the messes they have because no one asked "How much does that cost?" and went with Urso's philosophy of "Need it no matter what the cost is!"

Geez, when will this town learn that it is NEVER a bad thing to ask, total cost? Where are the funds allocated from? Length of time the service will be needed to be shouldered by the city? Etc??

Maybe - just maybe, if someone had the foresight to ask some of these questions in the beginning we would not be in such a place right now?

Its done, its been decided and as a citizen I want to know what exactly is being provided, how it is being paid for and where it should be placed in the books as an expense.  I'm not arguing to take it back or don't do it - just trying to be informed and stay informed like ALL good citizens should.
That way no one later can say..."well if you were so concerned then why did you only wait til after the fact to ask questions"...
WAKE UP!Shocked

HHR...Which is it? You kinida are posting two different positions here:

1. Yes of course Monroe City can pay for it!
2. Well how much does it cost because Monroe City and Schools can't get in a fiscal bind again?

I'm not attacking, just asking. I more agree with your second point because the City and School shouldn't fall back into another fiscal bind. There are ways to pay for it, but we have to be smart about how it happens. It is a great resource for the schools and definately needed, but at what expense are we talking? Monroe City has an obligation to provide critical emergency services to everyone at all times of the day too.

Is there even a rough out of pocket expence estimate for the City to shoulder this expense?
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy HarperValley R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 11:03am
Vegas - Youstatement has holes and contradicts itself in the last line. !st you saw no one saying anything and then you saw those who disagree with me.

But to answer your question..
After I ask about the cost involved - 2 people felt it necessary tio say the cost did not matter.
Great for them but I still have questions and would like an answer.
I am tired of being called the bully here because I want to be informed.
Just that simple.
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 11:12am
Please re-read my "statement."  

So people said cost didn't matter to them, so what?   How do you make the leap that their statement was directed at you???  You are assuming people are attacking your questions and no one even mentioned you.  They are entitled to their opinion as you are yours.  But you give your opinion and want everyone to jump on the bandwagon.  When their opinion differs you start calling everyone out and questioning their decisions.

Exhibit A & B:

"Oh for Gods sake people!"
"Geez, when will this town learn..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic