Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

 
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NO ONE HAS APPLIED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


NO ONE HAS APPLIED

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Todd View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Aug 06 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 584
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NO ONE HAS APPLIED
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 5:14pm
As of noon today no one has applied for the open council seat. If you have ever wanted to be on council this is the time to do it. All that is required is a resume and 15 minutes of your time for an interview. Council will conduct the interviews and will decide who they feel will be the best choice for the open position. See below.

If you are interested in filling this vacancy you must submit a
resume and letter of interest citing the reasons you would like to
be considered for this appointment. This must be submitted to
Angela S. Wasson, Clerk of Council, 233 South Main Street,
P. O. Box 330, Monroe, Ohio 45050-0330 or wassona@monroeohio.org.
The deadline for submission is June 4, 2014.

To qualify you must be a resident and qualified elector of the City
for at least one year prior to appointment and continue to be a
resident and qualified elector of the City throughout the term
of office. You cannot hold any other compensated office or
position of employment with the City or hold any other compensated
elected public office.
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 5:49pm
Todd,
Can you tell me, or send me to a sight that details responsibilities and commitment?  I am interested.
Back to Top
Todd View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Aug 06 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 584
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:26pm

http://www.monroeohio.org/departments/mayor-council/rules-of-council

http://www.monroeohio.org/departments/mayor-council/charter#4.01
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:53pm
Thanks. I guess I have 4-5 days to research and decide.
Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 19337
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 9:42am
Being on council or school board subjects you and your family to sometimes unreasonable scrutiny and sometimes worse. Essentially it is a thankless job for very little money. Why would anyone ever want to be in an elected position?

With this in mind, I am grateful to those who sit on school boards and city councils. These are some of the heros* of our city. Because it takes a hero to step up and take responsibility where no one else will.


*Hero defined: : a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities

: a person who is greatly admired

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
Matt_Steele View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 3475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_Steele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Thanks. I guess I have 4-5 days to research and decide.

I hope you decided to do it
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Matt_Steele Matt_Steele wrote:

Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Thanks. I guess I have 4-5 days to research and decide.

I hope you decided to do it
 
Thanks, Matt.  I'll take that as a vote of confidence!  I really did think that I could do the job. However, after reading John's post, I decided that a) I am no "hero" and b) perhaps a younger person would better handle "unreasonable scrutiny and sometimes worse". 
 
Mary
Back to Top
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official
Avatar

Joined: Nov 21 2000
Location: Monroe, Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 19337
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Originally posted by Matt_Steele Matt_Steele wrote:

Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Thanks. I guess I have 4-5 days to research and decide.

I hope you decided to do it
 
Thanks, Matt.  I'll take that as a vote of confidence!  I really did think that I could do the job. However, after reading John's post, I decided that a) I am no "hero" and b) perhaps a younger person would better handle "unreasonable scrutiny and sometimes worse". 
 
Mary

I'm glad I posted this before you made your decision. Believe me if you are not ready for a public life, you shouldn't apply. 

With that in mind I know there are many good people in Monroe who would be great on council. However I will not out anyone. You know who you are.


The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Originally posted by Matt_Steele Matt_Steele wrote:

Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Thanks. I guess I have 4-5 days to research and decide.

I hope you decided to do it
 
Thanks, Matt.  I'll take that as a vote of confidence!  I really did think that I could do the job. However, after reading John's post, I decided that a) I am no "hero" and b) perhaps a younger person would better handle "unreasonable scrutiny and sometimes worse". 
 
Mary

I'm glad I posted this before you made your decision. Believe me if you are not ready for a public life, you shouldn't apply. 

With that in mind I know there are many good people in Monroe who would be great on council. However I will not out anyone. You know who you are.
 
 
For sure!!  Thanks, John, I did appreciate your original post.
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:04pm
The irony in this thread is THICK
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by cmsquare cmsquare wrote:

The irony in this thread is THICK
 
 
??????  Care to explain?  Just wondering what you mean, but understand if you want your post to stand on it's own.
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 5:44pm
I assure you it has nothing to do with you and weather you chose to run or not.  Whatever you choose should be the best decision for you personally.  Just the fact that you considered running says a lot about you.

That's all I really feel comfortable saying. 
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by cmsquare cmsquare wrote:

I assure you it has nothing to do with you and weather you chose to run or not.  Whatever you choose should be the best decision for you personally.  Just the fact that you considered running says a lot about you.

That's all I really feel comfortable saying. 




Back to Top
Matt_Steele View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 07 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 3475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_Steele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Originally posted by Matt_Steele Matt_Steele wrote:

Originally posted by MElass MElass wrote:

Thanks. I guess I have 4-5 days to research and decide.

I hope you decided to do it
 
Thanks, Matt.  I'll take that as a vote of confidence!  I really did think that I could do the job. However, after reading John's post, I decided that a) I am no "hero" and b) perhaps a younger person would better handle "unreasonable scrutiny and sometimes worse". 
 
Mary

Haha yes, a definite vote of confidence. However I disagree (in a way) with John's post. Not that he was wrong in what he posted. I think he's very correct that you'll get a lot of ridiculous scrutiny etc but we should be encouraging good people to apply and run! If we want to change all of this, we have to elect and support people who are good people to rebuild trust etc. 

I don't know you beyond this board and won't pretend to have any insight into your decision making, but I hope you decided not to because it wasn't right for you and not because you didn't want to face the fact that some people will be unreasonable and ridiculous. 


Then again, I'm a hopeless idealist and optimist who believes that we can change policies and attitudes in America starting at the local community level.
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 5:02pm
QUOTE from Matt Steele
 
Haha yes, a definite vote of confidence. However I disagree (in a way) with John's post. Not that he was wrong in what he posted. I think he's very correct that you'll get a lot of ridiculous scrutiny etc but we should be encouraging good people to apply and run! If we want to change all of this, we have to elect and support people who are good people to rebuild trust etc. 

I don't know you beyond this board and won't pretend to have any insight into your decision making, but I hope you decided not to because it wasn't right for you and not because you didn't want to face the fact that some people will be unreasonable and ridiculous. 

Then again, I'm a hopeless idealist and optimist who believes that we can change policies and attitudes in America starting at the local community level.
[/QUOTE]
 
 
Well, I worked my entire 45 year career as a Clinical Laboratoy Medical Technologist, so I have worked under intense scrutiny my whole life. (From Physicians, Hospital Admin and the Government - - you would NOT believe how much Laboratories have been regulated since 1976 and more so after 1988). 
 
However, that scrutiny was not as "nit-picking" as I anticipated government service on even a small scale would be :).
 
But mostly, I realized (and was told by my dear husband of almost 50 years)  that I have VERY  LITTLE  (NO) patience.  That was the decider!!  LOL
Back to Top
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Aug 18 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 10903
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 2:41pm
That's the most important lesson I've learned during my days here on Council. Patience and perseverance. Things won't often go your way and you have to learn to deal with that, learn from it, and move on to the next topic. Essentially, you do what you can do and then you keep going.
Back to Top
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 11 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

That's the most important lesson I've learned during my days here on Council. Patience and perseverance. Things won't often go your way and you have to learn to deal with that, learn from it, and move on to the next topic. Essentially, you do what you can do and then you keep going.



You're a better man than I, Doc. I have tremendous perseverence but little patience!
Back to Top
Todd View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Aug 06 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 584
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 10:08am
There were 14 residents that put in for the vacant Council seat. I'm glad we have people willing to step up. I was concerned that no one would put in for it after no one ran in the last election.
Thanks,
Todd
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 10:32am
wow

14

that's great
Back to Top
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council


Joined: Dec 31 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5286
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 12:59am
A choice was made.

Todd. Could you begin a thread to introduce the citizens of Monroe to the choice?

Thank you,
Your humble servant Houndog
Back to Top
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council


Joined: Dec 31 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5286
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:20pm
At least the guys name and a little background?


Back to Top
linette View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen


Joined: Mar 27 2002
Status: Offline
Points: 909
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 7:44am

MONROE — 

A new face will be joining Monroe’s city council starting next month.

City council members on Tuesday approved the appointment of Dan Clark, an attorney in the insurance industry who’s lived in Monroe 14 years.

He will finish the term expiring Dec. 31, 2015 that was vacated in late May by Bob Kelley. If he chooses to retain a seat on council, Clark will have to seek election in November 2015.

The city received applications from 13 long-term residents by the June 4 deadline.

Applications were also submitted by Peggy McClusky; Alaric Fine; Michael Howard; Mark Swartz; Tommy Baker; Linda Tucker; JC Kellis; Jason Frentzel; Dave Grant; Beth Race; James Barnes; and Tony Marconi, according to the city.

Clark will be sworn in during a regular council meeting at 6:30 p.m. July 8 at 233 S. Main St.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/monroe-appoints-attorney-to-vacant-council-spot/ngS3x/

Back to Top
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council


Joined: Dec 31 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5286
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 11:21pm
Thanks Linette.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

The Voice | Weather | Advertisers | Advertising Information | Lending Library | Monroe Church Directory

Archived Monroe News From: 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011

Website Design © Xponex Web and Media Services | Contact | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2012 MainStreetMonroe.com