Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Twitter

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Onion closed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whineisfine View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whineisfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Onion closed
    Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 8:02pm
I never like to hear of a local business closing and people losing their jobs. I heard about the closing from friends tonight at the Clubhouse. We're retired and like to support local businesses as much as we can.

My husband and I moved from Cincinnati to Monroe in late 2005. We loved going to the Red Onion---and did so a couple times a week. Dinners for birthdays, anniversaries and with friends from out of town.

As time went by, we had dinner at other places and would stop there on our way home for a couple drinks. The main reason being, the portions were too skimpy for my husband's appetite.

When we would go in, either Mark or the bartender would ask if we wanted a menu and we would say no, we already ate. They asked where we ate and what we had and I told them. Then, they would say, they serve that there.

After a while, it felt unfriendly, like they didn't like us just coming in for drinks. We spent close to $50. a week, including tips, just on drinks....2 beers each, each time we went. Sometimes, 3.

Then one night, we went in around 9pm and ordered a beer. Barely finished it and Mark said it was closing time. We paid and as we were walking out the door, Mark yelled to us to come back anytime to eat but to go somewhere else if we just wanted to drink.

I could not believe it! We were stunned. Some time later, we ran into a former bartender and told her that story. She told us, we weren't the only ones he said that to.

Now, I think that if your business is so good that you do not need our $200. a month, then good for you. But to kick us out for not eating there just was biting off your own nose.

I hope the space is not vacant for long. I know we would enjoy a local bar to walk to and I know for a fact, there are other Monroe residents who feel the same. There are other regulars who were run off by the attitude there too. It's too bad.
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 9:05pm
that's odd

Most restaurant don't make a ton on the food.  It's beer and wine sales that are the real profit makers.

The bottom line to me is that place is just too small for a real sit down establishment. 

If you did something with a little bit of eat in and more take out maybe it could work.  A really good deli or something would work.

but to me someone who gives people a spoke reason NOT to come in probably shouldn't be in the hospitality industry.

jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 8:50am
I liked the place, but agree, entirely too small.

Sad regardless, i know many people that would say "Oh yeah, Monroe, we go up there to eat at red onion".

So theres that...
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

MFD50 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFD50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:11am
Here is the account of the closing in the journal. Reminds me of the Restaurant Impossible episode where he is in Louisville trying to save a small diner and they were also serving large costs meals when the locals were looking for more of the casual fair. Here is the link to that episode involving the Coach Lamp & Pub. http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/restaurant-impossible/700-series/outside-the-box.html 
http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/popular-butler-county-restaurant-closes-its-doors/ngDFF/
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:21am
The number of places that go on Restaurant Impossible and then close is staggering.  The show is kind of a joke unless you take it for pure entertainment. 

If Robert Irvine knew how to run restaurants he would have some of his that have been open and successful.

Keep in mind Robert Irvine has never run a successful restaurant in the US and has been caught lying about his credentials in the past. 

Bottom line is if you are counting on him saving you it's probably too late.    I really do believe the biggest problem is the space.  It's just too small.

Dannyboy View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:02am
Mark was also helping run the Stained 1054 Bistro until recently. I think he's just tired of the restaurant business.

As for the Onion, I could walk there from my house but I rarely went. I hated waiting for a table due to the small size. It's just a bad building.
Bretland View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bretland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:42pm
I like Mark. I have gotten to know him through the Lions Club.
While I hate to see the Red Onion close, I hope that his health issues can be managed and that he will be feeling better soon. He is a big supporter of Monroe and his contributions through the Red Onion and the Light Up The Sky festivities will be missed.
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
MFD50 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFD50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:57pm
Thanks CM I always wondered if many of those that he went in to save really stayed open. We tried a few nearby but was not impressed with what they offered. As for Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives we have tried a few of them and they were not bad but others were just not that good. One that comes to mind is Hillbilly HotDogs. Not so good and I like good hotdogs. We do enjoy the shows though.
Steve Cahill View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Cahill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 2:33pm
I always thought alot of both Gary and Mark. When we had a family and friends ceremony for my young son in 2008 (Baptism and Last Rights) we had it catered by the Red Onion. There was about 40 people at my house that evening to visit with my son for the last time.
Gary handled all the food and they served Beef Tenderloin, Sea Bass, Crab Cakes, Shrimp Cocktails, Wine, several other side dishes and about 5 different desserts. It was a fabulous dinner.
Two days later I met with Mark to pay him for the catering job and he refused to accept any money. It had to be very expensive and he refused to take a penny.  
Mark has a great heart and is a very generous and Christian man. He will be in our prayers for a fast recovery.
Mark I appreciate your friendship and God Bless my man!
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 2:37pm
I always remember Mark asking every guest how their meal was and they always said excellent, good or great. If there was a problem he would deal with it most amicably. 

In the heyday, the Red Onion was the finest establishment in the area. I already miss the place and feel as if I lost something really special. 

So long Red Onion. I pray Mark's health returns soon. 
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 2:37pm
Cahill that was a fantastic post! Thanks man.
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 5:38pm
WOW!  and WOW!!  I knew Mark had a generous spirit because of all his involvement in community activities.....but that was MORE than generous!!!  What a wonderful gift to a bereaved family.

Thanks Mark, from a member  of the community  (and a Red Onion patron)
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by MFD50 MFD50 wrote:

Thanks CM I always wondered if many of those that he went in to save really stayed open. We tried a few nearby but was not impressed with what they offered. As for Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives we have tried a few of them and they were not bad but others were just not that good. One that comes to mind is Hillbilly HotDogs. Not so good and I like good hotdogs. We do enjoy the shows though.

yeah both shows are fun to watch for sure.

The only restaurant impossible place I have ever visited in Apontes Pizza in Mason.  I was a fan of their pizza for a while but it had other issues going on...then it switched locations and that sure didn't help.  I'm not sure RI impossible helped them but I do believe they are still open.

As far as DDD yes it's hit and miss but that's more so from the sheer volume of places he has visited I think.  I've maybe been to 5 or 6 places spread through the country and most have been good.  I've not been to the hot dog place you mention.  If you like hot dogs and get to Columbus look up Dirty Franks....it's great.  Senate in Cincinnati is also good though it is way more upscale than a typical dog place.  Dirty Franks is everything a hot dog join should be and then some.

Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Cahill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 1:09am

Really?

Haven't been on for a long time but I remember when this was a meaningful place to post comments and views. 

WOW!
Steve
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Steve Cahill Steve Cahill wrote:

Really?

Haven't been on for a long time but I remember when this was a meaningful place to post comments and views. 

WOW!

???????
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Cahill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 11:59am
oops! Sorry-I replied to the wrong post-I'm getting old!
Steve
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:15pm
All Good

I was just really confused.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic