Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MidPointe Library announces move into Monroe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
linette View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MidPointe Library announces move into Monroe
    Posted: Jun 23 2014 at 8:08am

MONROE — 

The MidPointe Library System has selected a site here for its fourth branch location.

The 101-year-old library system will partner with Mount Pleasant Retirement Village to open a 2,100-square-foot, full-service library on the retirement campus at 1 Tennessee Ave., said Cari Hillman, library spokeswoman.

“They have a potential space that can be accessible to the public,” Hillman said. “We’ve long wanted to establish a location in Monroe.”

No opening date has been set, but the library will use a $500,000 donation from an estate in Monroe — designated to support the establishment of a MidPointe Library in Monroe — that will support operations, technology and materials at the new location, Hillman said.

The new branch will consist of a collection of library materials; a Mount Pleasant-run cafe; space for programming and public use; an EnvisionWare automated, self-service library machine with books, movies and music; and remote lockers for patrons to access holds using a personal identification number.

“We have been vigilant in investigating potential avenues to responsibly grow in the Monroe area and this is an exciting way to provide our patrons with a convenient public library space,” said Anita Carroll, library director.

Stan Kappers, executive director of Mount Pleasant, said the retirement community has a long-standing relationship with MidPointe. He said what began as a portable cart of books from MidPointe evolved into a community outreach program that includes free weekly trips for Mount Pleasant residents to the Middletown branch.

Kappers said the site of the future library had been an independent living residence at Mount Pleasant up until a couple weeks ago. He said the ranch-style home has “a lot of charm and mature trees” and will make an “incredible” library.

“We are thrilled to be able to offer our residents convenient access to the leading-edge technology and resources MidPointe Library offers as well as welcoming the greater Monroe area to our campus,” Kappers said.

MidPointe has more than 128,360 library card holders across locations in Middletown, Trenton and West Chester Twp. More than 4,300 of those card holders live in Monroe, Hillman said.

In 2013, the library system circulated more than 3.74 million items across its three branches.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/midpointe-library-announces-move-into-monroe/ngPsH/

Dannyboy View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:03pm
A $500k donation. Wow. That's cool.
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 10:04pm
Sounds like a half million dollar bookmobile with the wheels removed.
Bretland View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bretland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 8:54pm
so what's this mean for the current Library on East Avenue?
Will it continue operation? 
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
linette View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 7:56am
Here is a previous topic that has some interesting tidbits.  This was when the donation from the estate was publicized.  Especially read the post from Buckeyenut toward the bottom.
http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/voice/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=26415
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by linette linette wrote:

Here is a previous topic that has some interesting tidbits.  This was when the donation from the estate was publicized.  Especially read the post from Buckeyenut toward the bottom.
http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/voice/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=26415

Interesting thread, thanks for posting Linette
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Monroe News View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2015 at 5:00pm
Deborah Preston of the MidPointe Library spoke in support of their five year levy renewal, a portion of
which will be used for the branch that will open in Monroe.

Source: Monroe Council Minutes
Regular Meeting of Council
April 14, 2015 – 6:30 pm
233 South Main Street, Monroe, Ohio
Monroe, Ohio Breaking News
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2015 at 12:47pm
It would be nice to see a library occupy some of our vacant retail space (read: IGA)
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2015 at 2:21pm
That would have been a much more ideal setting.
Putting it in one of the cottages at Mt. Pleasant doesn't make it inviting to the entire community.
It reads more or less as if  'We', the citizens who pay for the library, are more than welcome to visit what has now become a branch that sits on private property.

The library sat on the half of a million dollars that they were gifted by a late Monroe citizen for more that a few years.
ClarkWestern1 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarkWestern1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2015 at 3:22pm
The IGA building was the first choice. The cost to purchase and renovate was astronomical-which was surprising as this was during the economic downturn. As many of the residents of Mt. Pleasant were regular library patrons or they utilized the outreach program where library materials were brought to them it seemed a good choice as they are also investing in the project by putting a small coffee house in a portion of the building.  And, really, it didn't matter where it went-SOMEONE is going to be unhappy...
"Just spittin out words to see where they splatter."
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2015 at 5:08pm
I'm sorry...I just remember when the MONROE volunteer library was a fledgling venture and asked for financial help from Midpoint (for which Monroe citizens pay taxes). They were turned down. I really like the Monroe library and will continue to support it with donations while I vote NO on the levy.   What goes around comes around.
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarkWestern1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2015 at 7:11pm
You're living in the past-the Lending Library and MidPointe have worked together on kids programs and IT support for several years- but, hey, vote your conscience-not the facts.
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2015 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by ClarkWestern1 ClarkWestern1 wrote:

You're living in the past-the Lending Library and MidPointe have worked together on kids programs and IT support for several years- but, hey, vote your conscience-not the facts.

Mm-mm-mm.... that's interesting. I go to our Monroe library every couple of weeks and talk to the volunteers as I am checking out. I wonder if that information has been passed along to them? From my conversations with them, it doesn't seem so. And if Midpoint is helping with IT????......YIKES!!! If that is true they sure aren't helping much.
And if I request a book our library doesn't have, they don't seem to be able to get it on loan from Midpoint. Now THAT is real co-operation to a neighbor library!! NOT!!
I think I will vote my EXPERIENCE.
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2015 at 12:00am
I didn't realize the Midpoint Library and Monroes volunteer library was in direct contact.
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2015 at 12:05am
Hey. America is built on voting ones conscience and not facts.
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarkWestern1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2015 at 11:01am
I think it's the opposite-America is being torn down due to people not bothering to learn facts prior to elections-hence our current administration.
And, no, books cannot be loaned "out of system"-how are you going to track them??? And the IT support was mainly to help them keep their antiquated equipment operating because YOU, the public, aren't financially supporting YOUR library to the extent they can afford new equipment.
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2015 at 3:02pm
When I lived in K.C.,Mo. I requested a book at my local library. They called a week later to tell me the book was there. When I picked it up, I noticed that the book had been "borrowed" from Gail Borden Public Library, Elgin, Il.
That book came from a library 640 miles away and Midpoint can't lend a book to a library 10 miles away??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic