Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light Up the Sky Monroe July 4, 2015! - Event Date: Jul 04 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Monroe News View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Light Up the Sky Monroe July 4, 2015!
    Posted: May 21 2015 at 10:07am

Saturday, July 4 at 12:00pm
Monroe Community Park, 500 S. Main St., Monroe Ohio 45050
Tell everyone you are going: https://www.facebook.com/events/1435672820084510/
Monroe, Ohio Breaking News
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 11:35am
The Monroe Lions Club has received approval from the Park and Recreation Board for the
use of the Monroe Community Park for July 3, 4, and 5, 2015.
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2015 at 11:31am

Mr. Clark reported that the Monroe Lions Club is looking for face painters and balloon makers
that could be available free of charge, but the estimate they have received is $480 for this. Also, 
to assist with parking, they contacted Petermann for bussing service and they quoted $38 per hour 
per bus. We wouldn’t need them all day, so it would be between $700 and $900. Mr. Clark further 
reported that they have a skydiver coming in at a discounted rate of $600. The Lions Club is hoping 
for support from the City on these items.

Mr. Black asked if the net proceeds for the carnival events would cover the expenditures. Dave 
Stupp, Lions Club Member, advised that last year the net equaled to $500. Mr. Clark advised that 
some funds were not collected by some of the vendors last year.

Mrs. Stillman asked if the school was approached for assistance in bussing. Mr. Black also 
suggested to talking to Mike Morris about this.

Mr. Black was not supportive of the skydiver due to a safety concern because there is a very small 
area to land in.

Mrs. Rubin suggested waiting to see how much the sponsors pay and then come back to the City for a 
specific amount, if needed.

Mr. Brock advised that $5,000 was budgeted for the event and $1,800 has been expended for the 
fireworks deposit.

Mrs. Rubin felt a booth during this event to try and promote what we are doing with the parks
would be a benefit.

Source: Monroe Council Minutes
Regular Meeting of Council
May 18, 2015 – 6:30 pm
233 South Main Street, Monroe, Ohio
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2015 at 11:40am

Emergency Resolution No. 27-2015. A Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into an
agreement by and between the City of Monroe and the Monroe Lions Club for the use of the Monroe 
Community Park and declaring an emergency.

Mr. Brock stated that this is the park utilization agreement which allows the Monroe Area Lions 
Club to utilize the park for the “Light up the Sky” Event on July 4th, 2015.

Mrs. Rubin moved to suspend the rule requiring the reading of Emergency Resolution No. 27-2015 on 
two separate days, authorize its adoption on the first reading, and have it read by title only; 
seconded by Mr. Black. Voice vote. Motion carried.

The Deputy Clerk of Council read Emergency Resolution No. 27-2015 by title only.

Mrs. Rubin moved to adopt Emergency Resolution No 27-2015; seconded by Mr. Hickman. Roll call
vote: 6 ayes, 1 abstain, Motion carried.

May 26, 2015 – 6:30 pm

Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2015 at 11:42am

Mr. Routson stated that he would like to donate additional monies to the Lions Club for the “Light 
up the Sky” event on July 4, 2015.

Mr. Routson states that $1800.00 has been paid towards the fireworks deposit and $5,000.00 has
been budgeted for this event.

Mr. Hickman moved that the City of Monroe donate a total of $3000.00 to the Monroe Lions Club for a sponsorship in regards to the “Light up the Sky” event; seconded by Mr. Black. Voice vote.
Motion carried.

May 26, 2015 – 6:30 pm

skydiver View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2015 at 6:38am
Pro rated skydivers can land on a postal stamp in a soup can. Flying the American Flag into the park would be a very good addition to the program . I hope Mr. Black will reconsider his no vote on this matter.  
If you cant stand the heat, don't light the match
John Beagle View Drop Down
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by skydiver skydiver wrote:

Pro rated skydivers can land on a postal stamp in a soup can. Flying the American Flag into the park would be a very good addition to the program . I hope Mr. Black will reconsider his no vote on this matter.  

Clap Agreed, it would be a nice addition. As long as it isn't windy. 
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
-Joseph Campbell
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2015 at 12:05pm
I didn't vote no.
skydiver View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2015 at 9:18pm
Ok Doc. My bad on the no vote coment. I understand your concerns on the safety aspects. You are right about the the relatively small area of a landing zone. The team will visit the site and evaluate wether they can do the skydive safely . The pilots fly loads of skydivers over Monroe daily and know the landscape. This demo team is the best in the USA and they take the most of pride in what they do. I can guarantee the man or woman who flies this flag on the 4th will have tears in the eyes as they fly it home to Monroe. I would wish you would consider this jump to the program . Tom
skydiver View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2015 at 10:21pm
Yes , winds can be a pain under canopy. I once landed in a golf driving range in Middletown.Good thing it was a slow day. My teammate slid in on his ass and did some golf ball bumps . (ouches ) Our spotter must have been on crack( Just) Kidding) he had us exit the plane about 3 miles out. I thought I found a landing spot but it turned out it was the Middletown Sporting gun club. I did a left turn. and landed at the drive range. Stood up. Crap happens. 
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2015 at 12:52pm
I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea that I don't like to have a good time.

My one and only concern is for the safety of the skydivers and those on the ground. I'm still very concerned but I have full faith and trust in the organization and the LUTS committee that they are taking the appropriate measures to ensure an acceptable safety margin.
zapp2525 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapp2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2015 at 1:50pm
Would the skydivers jump into an unsafe area ?
ClarkWestern1 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClarkWestern1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2015 at 4:19pm
Yikes! One gust of wind and they may land on Oxford State Road and disappear into a pothole never to be seen again...
"Just spittin out words to see where they splatter."
skydiver View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2015 at 7:48am
No, The team will not exit the plane if there was a safety issue. Winds aloft and on the ground will be taken into consideration. The Ground crew will have Communication with the pilot at exit time. If weather permits, all skydivers will hit the target. The LZ MUST be clear. The team will exit at about 3000 Ft. It's called a clear the aircraft and pull the Hacky.( clear and pull ) . The winds aloft will determine the exit interval as the skydivers have to have a safe canopy deployment with about 500 ft of space between each team member, Canopy check for proper control, Then the team will build a flying formation. The landing will be into the wind so the landing(  Final approach) could be any part of a 360 degree to the LZ. 

Wink Very fun stuff
skydiver View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2015 at 10:16am
On a side Note, Some Demo team members are former airborne and special forces guys. The Golden Knights and Black Knights Demo squads do a stop over here at Hook Field and Lebanon (Start Skydiving ) and train their newer demo rookies. It's kinda kool when they are finished training as we get together and do FUN JUMPS together. I remember watching these guys when I was a Kid at air shows. It sure was a privilege to Fly with these guys in my 50s.. I'm 60 years now and made my last skydive last Summer. I just ran out of adrenaline . 
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2015 at 4:15pm
So was there a final final decision not to allow the skydivers? 
-Joseph Campbell
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2015 at 11:03am
No. There was never a discussion of a decision to decide what to tell the LUTS what they can't do.
I don't know where you keep getting this?
Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Monroe News Monroe News wrote:

Mr. Clark reported that the Monroe Lions Club is looking for face painters and balloon makers
that could be available free of charge, but the estimate they have received is $480 for this. Also, 
to assist with parking, they contacted Petermann for bussing service and they quoted $38 per hour 
per bus. We wouldn’t need them all day, so it would be between $700 and $900. Mr. Clark further 
reported that they have a skydiver coming in at a discounted rate of $600. The Lions Club is hoping 
for support from the City on these items.

Mr. Black asked if the net proceeds for the carnival events would cover the expenditures. Dave 
Stupp, Lions Club Member, advised that last year the net equaled to $500. Mr. Clark advised that 
some funds were not collected by some of the vendors last year.

Mrs. Stillman asked if the school was approached for assistance in bussing. Mr. Black also 
suggested to talking to Mike Morris about this.

Mr. Black was not supportive of the skydiver due to a safety concern because there is a very small 
area to land in.

Mrs. Rubin suggested waiting to see how much the sponsors pay and then come back to the City for a 
specific amount, if needed.

Mr. Brock advised that $5,000 was budgeted for the event and $1,800 has been expended for the 
fireworks deposit.

Mrs. Rubin felt a booth during this event to try and promote what we are doing with the parks
would be a benefit.

May 18, 2015 – 6:30 pm

Mr. Black was not supportive of the skydiver due to a safety concern because there is a very small area to land in.
-Joseph Campbell
Doc View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2015 at 4:35pm
I also don't like carnies, clowns, or fireworks but they're having those too.

Mr. Hickman moved that the City of Monroe donate a total of $3000.00 to the Monroe Lions Club for a sponsorship in regards to the “Light up the Sky” event; seconded by Mr. Black. Voice vote.
Motion carried.
skullduggery View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skullduggery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2015 at 6:11pm
Mr. Black if you get a chance I would highly suggest that you go to The Ohio Challenge at Smith Park this weekend and check out the skydivers there. They do not need much room at all to land plus with all the experience they have it is wonderful to see. I worked on this committee for several years and we never had an issue with the safety. Plus the balloons are wonderful to see as well. 
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2015 at 9:22am
The one lady landed on a house on Tytus. That was pretty exciting. 
skullduggery View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skullduggery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2015 at 10:49am
Mr. Black, I said that The Ohio Challenge was this weekend, I was wrong it is the weekend after the July 4th event. Still a great site to see.
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2015 at 10:56am
Public Works just informed us the fields are WET! Parking at the park will be EXTREMELY LIMITED, if allowed at all.

Shuttles start at 4pm, from the old and new high school. PLAN to park there and ride in.

If you're coming for just the fireworks, there WILL NOT be parking available at the park. You will have to shuttle.

Source: Monroe Lions Club
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2015 at 4:05pm

Schedule of Events
8:00-9:00 am Disc Golf Registration
9:00 Players meeting
9:30 Disc Golf Tee-Off
10:00 AM - Parade Line Up at Kroger
Noon - Parade starts
ALL DAY - Face Painting and Balloon animals
noon - 8 pm - Beer Garden at Osborn Brewing, shuttle by Cincy Brew Bus
noon - 4 pm Music by DJ Chris
1 PM - Parade arrives at Park
Afternoon - Fire truck demo
Noon - Parade Starts & Park Opens with Games & Rides
4:00 PM - shuttles begin from the new high school. Every 20 minutes.
3:30 - 4 PM - Police Dog Show
sometime between 6 & 7 PM-ish - Team Fasttrax Parachutes In
7:00 PM -Remains take the stage
9:15 PM - Lions Club 50" TV Raffle Winner Announced
Dark - fireworks by Rozzi
After the fireworks, The Remains play again
Busses end at midnight

Source: Monroe Lions Club

Voice Official
Voice Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2015 at 10:47am
Awesome LUTS this year! Thanks Monroe!
-Joseph Campbell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic