Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunday Liquor in the I-75 CED?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Monroe News View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunday Liquor in the I-75 CED?
    Posted: Feb 23 2016 at 3:43pm

Ordinance No. 2016-05. An Ordinance approving a ballot initiative to permit Sunday sales of
beer and intoxicating liquor in the I-75 Monroe Community Entertainment District.

City Manager Notes:
Recommendation. Accept Ordinance 2016-05 on its first reading.

Background and Discussion. The purpose of initial Community Entertainment District
legislation in early 2015 was to increase number of liquor licenses available in City as a way to
remove a potential obstacle to development around the interchange. The boundary for the
district was revised at the end of 2015 to remove Shell gas station due to potential unintended
consequences with their existing liquor license (Chipotle elected to remain in the district). This
legislation will start the process to put the district on the ballot for Sunday sales – currently
aiming for August special election, provided that there is a candidate on the ballot. If no
candidate, we have to use the November election. This will be a ballot issue in both Counties –
each county’s vote will determine the Sunday sales issue for that part of the district (district votes
are not aggregated across two counties).

Source: Monroe Council Agenda
Regular Meeting of Council
February 23, 2016 - 6:30 pm
233 South Main Street, Monroe, Ohio
Monroe, Ohio Breaking News
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2016 at 10:02am
I'm amazed we still have to approve an ordinance to combat a Blue Law like Sunday sales of alcohol.  What year is this??  Heck, what century is this??  Next, women are gonna wanna vote or wear long pants.  Gasp!

What do Blue Law backers (if there is such a person) do with the beliefs of Jews and their view of the Sabbath?  Or Catholics that prefer to celebrate mass on Saturday evening?  Or, oh I don't know, the other 70% OF THE ENTIRE WORLD WHO AREN'T CHRISTIANS???

Some traditions are meant to die. 

zapp2525 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapp2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2016 at 12:40pm
Why do we elect officials if the votes just get passed down to the citizens ?

Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 2:31pm

Ordinance No. 2016-05. An Ordinance approving a ballot initiative to permit Sunday sales of
beer and intoxicating liquor in the I-75 Monroe Community Entertainment District.

Mrs. Rubin moved to consider this the first reading of Ordinance No. 2016-05 and have it read  by 
title only; seconded by Mr. Frentzel. Voice vote.  Motion carried.

The Clerk of Council read Ordinance No. 2016-05 by title only.

Mrs. Rubin moved to approve the first reading of Ordinance No. 2016-05; seconded by Mr.
Clark.  Roll call vote:  six ayes.  Motion carried.

Source: Monroe Council Minutes
February 23, 2016 - 6:30 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

beer and intoxicating liquor in the I-75 Monroe Community Entertainment District. (Second
Reading)

Recommendation. Adopt Ordinance 2016-05 on its second reading.

Background and Discussion. No changes have been made to the legislation from its first
reading. The purpose of initial Community Entertainment District legislation in early 2015 was
to increase number of liquor licenses available in the City as a way to remove a potential
obstacle to development around the interchange. The boundary for the district was revised at the
end of 2015 to remove the Shell gas station due to potential unintended consequences with their
existing liquor license (Chipotle elected to remain in the district). This legislation will start the
process to put the district on the ballot for Sunday sales – currently aiming for August special
election, provided that there is a candidate on the ballot. If no candidate, we have to use the
November election. This will be a ballot issue in both counties – each county’s vote will
determine the Sunday sales issue for that part of the district (district votes are not aggregated
across two counties). 

Source: Monroe Council Agenda
March 8, 2016 - 6:30 pm
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monroe News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2016 at 4:05pm
beer and intoxicating liquor in the I-75 Monroe Community Entertainment District (Second
Reading).

Mrs. Rubin moved to consider this the second reading of Ordinance No. 2016-05 and have it
read by title only; seconded by Mrs. Hale. Voice vote. Motion carried.

The Clerk of Council read Ordinance No. 2016-05.
Mrs. Rubin moved to adopt Ordinance No. 2016-05; seconded by Mr. Hickman. Roll call vote:
seven ayes. Motion carried.

Source: Monroe Council Minutes
March 8, 2016 - 6:30 pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic