Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Google+ Twitter

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"My Sons School Suspension"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lori View Drop Down
Voice Resident
Voice Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "My Sons School Suspension"
    Posted: Oct 30 2016 at 3:28pm
I am writing this information to share with you due to recent media and a past post made on our Monroe site.
My son Logan was suspended from school on 10/21/2016 due to his interaction on a social media site with another Monroe student on 10/1/2016. The interaction occurred between Logan and a female student Logan occasionally has seen outside of school at social activities. The interaction included the girl posting a picture of bleach and asking "should I drink it?" Yes or no. My son replied "drink it." The girl said "you want me to Kms, thanks a lot." Logan said your welcome.
What happened that day in the post I was not aware of. And following conversations with other parents and students it's not uncommon unfortunately. This type of post I am hearing is not uncommon conversation that can occur on media sites with children who need to be more aware of how these posts can be taken.
Our Monroe junior high principal was very upset and told me Logan seemed to have no idea that his reply could had cost the girl her life if she were calling out for help. The maximum, punishment allowed by our principal was a 10 day suspension. He could also recommend an expulsion from school up to 80 days which was to be determined in a hearing with our superintendent. And if this would be the judgement Logan would need to repeat the 8th grade.
During the suspension, the superintendent, principal, Logan, and myself have discussed what has happened. We have completed a hearing to determine a plan for Logan's academic future at Monroe. The decision was made that Logan would finish his suspension and will be involved involved in some missions work at our church. I also want to say that our Monroe Superintendent was very nice, and a genuine caring person. He spent a good amount of time with Logan before making his decision. He was fair. He didn't want the punishment to ruin his academic future. He just wanted to make sure Logan understood what might had happened. And he realized Logan regrets what has happened.
We are glad no harm came to the girl who posted the bleach pictures. My son was surprised when he was made aware the girl could had been calling out for help. My son thought she was joking. We have attempted to apologize to the student and her family.
I have watched my son go through a difficult week and he is vulnerable. He has apologized. Told me he hates himself for his actions. He has told me he feels ashamed.
He has thought about the girl and talks about her seeming happy and how he would had felt if she were serious and would had hurt herself. He has thought about repeating the 8th grade and what that would mean to him. He has also been harassed by other Monroe students.
On Friday the 28th Logan returned to school to finish his suspension in school.
Some of you may have seen a story that was aired by channel 5 news regarding Logan's suspension. This media coverage was requested and organized by my ex husband/ Logan's father. I DO NOT agree with the media coverage that occurred. I was notified by the school of a news channel requesting a story. The school is not allowed to release that type of information due to it is confidential. I believe my child was EXPLOITED during a time in his life when I have never seen him so upset and vulnerable. This media coverage is causing additional problems Logan did not need. That is the reason for my post. Logan wishes there was a do over, but what's done is done.
I have discussed with Logan that we start with here and now. He is truly sorry. He is serving his punishment as ordered. He is also better educated on social media.
I love my son with all my heart. I am glad the situation is not worse. I am glad the other student is doing well. I will continue to work with my son in reminding him "he is not a bad person - he just made a very bad choice."
And we will take everything one day at a time.
Michelle Wilks View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle Wilks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2016 at 5:11pm
Hi Lori. Sorry to hear about this. I saw the news coverage on channel 5. It wasn't good. Your right your ex shouldn't have had him appear on local news. What in the world. What did that do for him. Hurt him more than anything. That kind of stuff doesn't disappear. He should had discussed this with you first. You seem like the more level headed parent.Glad you took the time to post this extra information. Hope he is able to get back into his normal school routine soon. Glad the girls ok too. Hang in there Logan.
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 12:31am
i discussed this entire situation with my daughter who is the same age.
I instructed her NEVER to speak a word to the school cop or any adult until I am present.
Lori View Drop Down
Voice Resident
Voice Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 2:09am
Logan was very honest about the situation, Didnt feel he needed to hide anything. He was very surprised when Mr Ward spoke with him. Mr. Ward said Logan seemed truly surprised that the girl may had been calling out for help. Mr Ward gave the maximum punishment he could give that day. We were Told that they look at situations like this that have occurred over a span of two to three years to make sure punishments are consistently the same. Meaning it would probably be standard to assign a 10 day suspension in any situation similar to this. It was also mentioned that the junior high may be looking to schedule something for the junior high students concerning internet bullying.
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 9:04am
I will also be discussing this situation with my kids (around the same age) so they have an understanding of the consequences of their actions.  What I find most impressive about your story, if I may, is that your son has taken ownership of a bad decision.  And that you haven't tried to shift the blame to other people or other things as well.  In a world where most people try to blame others, the superintendent, video games, rap lyrics, a broken home, or even gluten - your son has made a statement by owning what he did and apologizing for it.  What more can we ask of someone?  I don't applaud your son's original decision/actions but I sure do applaud him for admitting fault, asking for forgiveness, and trying to make it right.  
Lori View Drop Down
Voice Resident
Voice Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 1:33pm
I appreciate comments that I can share with Logan. Some days are difficult for him as we each have our occasional less than perfect day. Its nice for him, while he is working to make right, to have encouraging words that he is on the right path and life can and will improve each day with the right attitude and work. Attitude can be a big part of our days. And if we work to make better things typically get better. And you can sometimes meet some great people. I am looking forward to Logan's opportunity to help prepare Christmas boxes at our church. Operation Christmas child. These are boxes of all kinds of goodies for children in need. Everything from toys, to toiletries, to supplies for school. Think his sister will tag along too.
basser View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 8:08pm
Lori. I've read and reread your original post. Maybe I have missed something. Did this social media incident happen on Monroe city school property, during Monroe city schools hours ?
MElass View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MElass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Lori Lori wrote:

I appreciate comments that I can share with Logan. Some days are difficult for him as we each have our occasional less than perfect day. Its nice for him, while he is working to make right, to have encouraging words that he is on the right path and life can and will improve each day with the right attitude and work. Attitude can be a big part of our days. And if we work to make better things typically get better. And you can sometimes meet some great people. I am looking forward to Logan's opportunity to help prepare Christmas boxes at our church. Operation Christmas child. These are boxes of all kinds of goodies for children in need. Everything from toys, to toiletries, to supplies for school. Think his sister will tag along too.

Would it be helpful, Lori, for people who support Logan's ownership of an error in judgement and his acceptance of responsibility for his action ( I agree with Vegasmayor's comments) to support and encourage him by contributing to his Church Christmas project? If so, how would one do that?
Lori View Drop Down
Voice Resident
Voice Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 10:50pm
No. The interaction occurred while the children where not at school. The interaction occurred on the 1st of October. Another 8th grade student brought the interaction to the attention of our school principal.
Lori View Drop Down
Voice Resident
Voice Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 11:15pm
Would be exciting for others to be able to contribute in Operation Christmas Child. The boxes that are being used for sending are about the size of a shoebox or sometimes an actual shoebox can be used too. We will wrap the boxes at our church. The youth typically helps a lot with this. It has been suggested that a box be packed for either a boy or girl. The box may contain a toy that the child may enjoy and the remainder of the box is packed with smaller toys, hygiene items, and school supplies. It is suggested that a note might be included inside the box as well. National collection week is the third week in November. I am also told that you may follow the destination of your box through Follow Your Box online. If anyone is interested in preparing a box I would be happy to pick up boxes and deliver them to our church. There is information online at samaritanspurse.org/occ. Or the number 1-800-353-5949.       
Lori View Drop Down
Voice Resident
Voice Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 11:26pm
If someone wants to participate in the items included in a box that is also welcome. Its fun finding items to pack and utilizing the space of a shoebox. My son is preparing a box for a boy and my daughter will prepare a box for a girl. The kids will have the opportunity to include a note to the receiver of the box and can include a picture if they like. My husband and I will be preparing our own boxes as well. This will be our first year preparing boxes. It will be fun preparing them, We will probably utilize the "follow your box" online to see where each of our boxes are delivered.
basser View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2016 at 10:00pm
I'm sorry, but I would have a difficult time with this situation. Your son is a child. This action will follow him until graduation. It will most likely follow him, if he chooses higher education. Why and when did we allow a Junior High Principal to become judge and jury? This is difficult for me to understand. Truly, I wish the best for your son.
Houndog View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2016 at 10:57pm
As i read this I continue to wonder why your son was punished ?
vegasmayor View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegasmayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2016 at 8:27am
I guess when I first read it I assumed your son was using social media on school grounds and during school hours but now, I too, am confused as to why the school was involved whatsoever.  By that logic, if my son gets into a fight with a neighborhood kid who goes to the same school IN MY BACKYARD, the school can now punish both kids???  Talk about overreaching.  So maybe we don't have the whole story?  Or maybe the case can be made that the school has no business in this matter whatsoever?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic