Follow Main Street Monroe: Facebook Twitter

 
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - You aint from around here?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You aint from around here?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MFD50 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Dec 24 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2182
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFD50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 9:39am
27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
1Corinthians 1:27
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 4:06pm
that's the best you have?

The grand canyon is a giant trick on mankind?


Back to Top
MFD50 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Dec 24 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2182
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFD50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 8:43pm
Not a trick but a wonder of His glorious hand!
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:24am
That's not how I read that passage. 
Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:43am
OK then MFD, let's discuss this gem...it's a favorite of mine :-D
 
Isaiah 34:7   and I quote:
 
"And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."
 
 
Unicorns....UNICORNS.
 
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
blueblood View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Apr 19 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6493
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by jrock1203 jrock1203 wrote:

OK then MFD, let's discuss this gem...it's a favorite of mine :-D
 

Isaiah 34:7   and I quote:

 

"And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."

 

 

Unicorns....UNICORNS.

 



Are there unicorns in the Bible?


Some people claim the Bible is a book of fairy tales because it mentions unicorns. However, the biblical unicorn was a real animal, not an imaginary creature. The Bible refers to the unicorn in the context of familiar animals, such as peacocks, lambs, lions, bullocks, goats, donkeys, horses, dogs, eagles, and calves (Job 39:9–12, KJV.) In Job 38–41, God reminded Job of the characteristics of a variety of impressive animals He had created, showing Job that God was far above man in power and strength.

Job had to be familiar with the animals on God’s list for the illustration to be effective. God points out in Job 39:9–12 that the unicorn, “whose strength is great,” is useless for agricultural work, refusing to serve man or “harrow (plow) the valley.” This visual aid gave Job a glimpse of God’s greatness. An imaginary fantasy animal would have defeated the purpose of God’s illustration.

Modern readers have trouble with the Bible’s unicorns because we forget that a single-horned feature is not uncommon on God’s menu for animal design. (Consider the rhinoceros and narwhal.) The Bible describes unicorns skipping like calves (Psalm 29:6), traveling like bullocks, and bleeding when they die (Isaiah 34:7). The presence of a very strong horn on this powerful, independent-minded creature is intended to make readers think of strength.

The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence. (Think of the dodo bird. It does not exist today, but we do not doubt that it existed in the past.). Eighteenth century reports from southern Africa described rock drawings and eyewitness accounts of fierce, single-horned, equine-like animals. One such report describes “a single horn, directly in front, about as long as one’s arm, and at the base about as thick . . . . [It] had a sharp point; it was not attached to the bone of the forehead, but fixed only in the skin.”


“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
Mark Twain
Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:48am

I guess I should post a disclaimer on my opinions, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or shame or claim their belief is absurd - I'm really not. But I will voice my own belief even when it's totally opposite. That's all - no disrespect or ill will meant Smile

 
 
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by blueblood blueblood wrote:



The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence. (Think of the dodo bird. It does not exist today, but we do not doubt that it existed in the past.).


......and when you can produce a unicorn fossil you will have a point.

People didn't just dream up the dodo bird from drawings on a cave wall; we have actual physical evidence that they once existed.  They are called fossils. 

Now unicorns on the other hand, nobody has ever found a unicorn fossil.....that's where faith comes in again.

So just to summarize....you believe in unicorns, but NOT that it took millions of years to form the grand canyon.   I can't think of a better point to show why a real conversation rooted in science simply cannot take place. 

I don't mean that as an insult; it's just the way things are.





 






Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by cmsquare cmsquare wrote:

Originally posted by blueblood blueblood wrote:



The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence. (Think of the dodo bird. It does not exist today, but we do not doubt that it existed in the past.).


......and when you can produce a unicorn fossil you will have a point.

People didn't just dream up the dodo bird from drawings on a cave wall; we have actual physical evidence that they once existed.  They are called fossils. 

Now unicorns on the other hand, nobody has ever found a unicorn fossil.....that's where faith comes in again.

So just to summarize....you believe in unicorns, but NOT that it took millions of years to form the grand canyon.   I can't think of a better point to show why a real conversation rooted in science simply cannot take place. 

I don't mean that as an insult; it's just the way things are.





 






Ah you beat me to the punch.
 
 
 
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
blueblood View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Apr 19 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6493
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by jrock1203 jrock1203 wrote:

Originally posted by cmsquare cmsquare wrote:

Originally posted by blueblood blueblood wrote:



The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence. (Think of the dodo bird. It does not exist today, but we do not doubt that it existed in the past.).


......and when you can produce a unicorn fossil you will have a point.

People didn't just dream up the dodo bird from drawings on a cave wall; we have actual physical evidence that they once existed.  They are called fossils. 

Now unicorns on the other hand, nobody has ever found a unicorn fossil.....that's where faith comes in again.

So just to summarize....you believe in unicorns, but NOT that it took millions of years to form the grand canyon.   I can't think of a better point to show why a real conversation rooted in science simply cannot take place. 

I don't mean that as an insult; it's just the way things are.





 








Ah you beat me to the punch.
 

 

 


You mean like the fossil evidence that has never once been found, yet you believe wholeheartedly that we came from apes and the universe is just one cosmic collision of an accidental happening! Who really has the strongest religion and the greatest of faith?

Whether you believe or don't believe, has absolutely zero effect on whether it is real or not. The human brain cannot comprehend eternity.




“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
Mark Twain
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:16pm
We've gone over this.

In this VERY thread.

I'm not doing it a second time.


Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 2:36pm
On the flipside, where are all of the cities, records or people places and things mentioned in your bible?

By your logic, your faith is not true due to supposed lack of evidence.

From a historical perspective, some things line up - jerusalem, egypt, rome, etc...

what about the other stuff?
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 2:37pm
And are you really debating if we've found the interspecies remains? seriously?
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
blueblood View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Apr 19 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6493
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by jrock1203 jrock1203 wrote:

On the flipside, where are all of the cities, records or people places and things mentioned in your bible?

By your logic, your faith is not true due to supposed lack of evidence.

From a historical perspective, some things line up - jerusalem, egypt, rome, etc...

what about the other stuff?


The Bible is the most accurate historical document known to man in finding archaeological cities that it references. It has been proven over and over to be accurate and is taken as the "gospel" for everything except its religious references. It has been question over and over, only to be ultimately shown to be correct.

Wonder why if it is so accurate, it is believed as the Bible, but only up to the point of salvation? {rhetorical question square)


“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
Mark Twain
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by blueblood blueblood wrote:

Originally posted by jrock1203 jrock1203 wrote:

On the flipside, where are all of the cities, records or people places and things mentioned in your bible?

By your logic, your faith is not true due to supposed lack of evidence.

From a historical perspective, some things line up - jerusalem, egypt, rome, etc...

what about the other stuff?


The Bible is the most accurate historical document known to man in finding archaeological cities that it references. It has been proven over and over to be accurate and is taken as the "gospel" for everything except its religious references. It has been question over and over, only to be ultimately shown to be correct.

Wonder why if it is so accurate, it is believed as the Bible, but only up to the point of salvation? {rhetorical question square)


that's not entirely true.

the bible talks of plenty that can't be found.

Where's the big boat?

And let's not forget about that guy that lived in the belly of a fish for a few days.  Gee I wonder why people don't take that part seriously.


Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:57am
And for that matter, where are sodom and gomorrah, the garden of eden, babylon, the tower of babel, the cave jesus was laid to rest in.....hmm?
 
While there are plenty of artifacts from the Bible that are verifiable, I would suggest there are even more that are not. Which makes sense considering its a collection of stories passed down from generations - so there is bound to be loads of inaccuracies.
 
 
How many of us have an uncle, grandfather, neighbor etc., that at one time had a car that got 100mpg with some super secret carburetor that the car company showed up and confiscated?
 
A stretch, but similar concept.
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
MFD50 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Dec 24 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2182
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFD50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by jrock1203 jrock1203 wrote:

And for that matter, where are sodom and gomorrah, the garden of eden, babylon, the tower of babel, the cave jesus was laid to rest in.....hmm?
 
While there are plenty of artifacts from the Bible that are verifiable, I would suggest there are even more that are not. Which makes sense considering its a collection of stories passed down from generations - so there is bound to be loads of inaccuracies.
 
 
How many of us have an uncle, grandfather, neighbor etc., that at one time had a car that got 100mpg with some super secret carburetor that the car company showed up and confiscated?
 
A stretch, but similar concept.
 
Archaeologists believe they have found the locations of Sodom and Gomorrah. They have also found the ancient cities of Babylon which by the way was most likely the location of the tower of Babel. If they continue to dig through the rubble they may find pieces of the tower. And the tomb of Jesus is also known. And guess what? There is no body inside. Why? Because He was raised by the hand of God on the third day. People saw Him and not just a few. It was several hundred that saw Him and you still will not believe even when these artifacts are presented to you but will believe the untruth of evolution. What can I tell you that would make you believe? Nothing but what you chose to believe. But I am still motivated by His love to tell of His saving grace and how you too can be found in His love eternally. Only He can give you eternal life but you can chose eternal death.
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:18pm
jesus tomb has been found?

Yeah...James Cameron found it...LOL....and you know what else he found?






Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by MFD50 MFD50 wrote:

Originally posted by jrock1203 jrock1203 wrote:

And for that matter, where are sodom and gomorrah, the garden of eden, babylon, the tower of babel, the cave jesus was laid to rest in.....hmm?
 
While there are plenty of artifacts from the Bible that are verifiable, I would suggest there are even more that are not. Which makes sense considering its a collection of stories passed down from generations - so there is bound to be loads of inaccuracies.
 
 
How many of us have an uncle, grandfather, neighbor etc., that at one time had a car that got 100mpg with some super secret carburetor that the car company showed up and confiscated?
 
A stretch, but similar concept.
 
Archaeologists believe they have found the locations of Sodom and Gomorrah. They have also found the ancient cities of Babylon which by the way was most likely the location of the tower of Babel. If they continue to dig through the rubble they may find pieces of the tower. And the tomb of Jesus is also known. And guess what? There is no body inside. Why? Because He was raised by the hand of God on the third day. People saw Him and not just a few. It was several hundred that saw Him and you still will not believe even when these artifacts are presented to you but will believe the untruth of evolution. What can I tell you that would make you believe? Nothing but what you chose to believe. But I am still motivated by His love to tell of His saving grace and how you too can be found in His love eternally. Only He can give you eternal life but you can chose eternal death.


Right back at you chief - no matter how much proof is presented regarding evolution, the earth's age etc., if you choose to believe its some sort of scam, then I can do nothing else.

That's the funny thing about science, is true whether you believe it or not.
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
jrock1203 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2013
Location: Monroe
Status: Offline
Points: 1542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by blueblood blueblood wrote:

Originally posted by jrock1203 jrock1203 wrote:

Originally posted by cmsquare cmsquare wrote:

Originally posted by blueblood blueblood wrote:



The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence. (Think of the dodo bird. It does not exist today, but we do not doubt that it existed in the past.).


......and when you can produce a unicorn fossil you will have a point.

People didn't just dream up the dodo bird from drawings on a cave wall; we have actual physical evidence that they once existed.  They are called fossils. 

Now unicorns on the other hand, nobody has ever found a unicorn fossil.....that's where faith comes in again.

So just to summarize....you believe in unicorns, but NOT that it took millions of years to form the grand canyon.   I can't think of a better point to show why a real conversation rooted in science simply cannot take place. 

I don't mean that as an insult; it's just the way things are.





 








Ah you beat me to the punch.
 

 

 


You mean like the fossil evidence that has never once been found, yet you believe wholeheartedly that we came from apes and the universe is just one cosmic collision of an accidental happening! Who really has the strongest religion and the greatest of faith?

Whether you believe or don't believe, has absolutely zero effect on whether it is real or not. The human brain cannot comprehend eternity.




All this visual does is explain your lack of understanding about evolution in general.

While the old (read: incorrect) mindset was the evolution was a linear progression - as in your chart, modern science has reached agreement that evolution is not necessarily linear, but rather includes multiple branches and has no real direction. As far as missing fossils - well its not that hard to explain. As early as the 1800s, fossils of prehistoric man were being uncovered in good numbers - and they were legit - not the infamous piltdown scam you love to quote. As the world has become less unknown and more explored, we find more remains on an almost regular basis. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a single "missing link" because there is no single jump from A-Z - there are multiple changes over time leading to multiple versions - much that your chart alludes to. However, as with many things over time, they are just lost to time.

Using the logic you've displayed, here are a small collection of reasons that I do not believe in the magic man in the sky

Let's get the disclaimer setup, for this argument we'll accept the bible is the perfect word of god and completely accurate and infallible - as some of you claim it is. That being the case, please, explain some of the following

Let's begin..

  • Exodus 15: God is a God of war.
  • Romans 15: God is a God of peace.
  • John 10: My Father and I [Jesus] are one.
  • John 14: My Father is greater than I [Jesus].
  • Genesis 7: 7 of each clean animal into the ark.
  • Genesis 7: 2 of each animal [clean or unclean] into the ark.
  • Numbers 12: Moses was a meek man.
  • Numbers 31: Moses had all the men killed so he could keep the women and children for himself.
  • Psalm 92: The righteous shall flourish.
  • Isaiah 57: The righteous shall perish from the earth
  • Matthew 27: The last words of Christ: "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?".
  • Luke 23: The last words of Christ: "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit".
  • John 19: The last words of Christ: "It is finished".

So if infallible, why does god contradict itself? God is either schizophrenic, or is nothing more than amalgamation of stories and beliefs rolled up into one epic poem.


Jesus father: Jacob (Matthew 1:15) or Heli (Luke 3:23). This directly conflicts with Jesus being born of a virgin - if that's the case, he has no father and thus genealogy listed in the bible is useless and completely wrong.


Genesis 1 and 2 have different timelines of what god accomplished on each day. In one, adam is made on the 3rd day, on the other all of the vegetation is made. So which is it.


God is all good, all loving etc...then why is there uncountable suffering and pain?


Infinite punishment for finite sin? really?


While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity


You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering.  And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."


You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
 


You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
 


Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!


You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
 
  You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
 
  You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

Sorry to rant, and per usual - I mean no offence, honestly. I have zero issue with religion at all, as long as it's not affecting me, the laws we all have to obey, or my kids. If religion provides you solace and happiness, that is a wonderful thing.




Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Back to Top
retiredmilitary View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen
Avatar

Joined: Oct 12 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 1736
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote retiredmilitary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 5:43am

Ok I was going to just continue to read but.

 

The tower of Babel is in Iraq. (Seen the remains)

 

Garden of Eden is believed to be located as to what is now Al Nasiriya in Iraq.

 

Little history on Sadam Hussain he believed himself to be the (not sure how to put it) almighty in his palaces there are murals of the past present and future all Sadam the almighty. He was having the tower rebuilt so he could reach the heavens as told to me by an Iraqi.

 

I had the fortune of walking through the excavated remains of Abrahams house and received history from an Iraqi whose family was curators of the site for many generations.

 

I have also stood on the top of the ziggurat.

Keep in mind the info on the tower of babel is as told to me from an Iraqi and their beliefs.
Back to Top
MoneyBags View Drop Down
Voice Citizen
Voice Citizen


Joined: Sep 02 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 667
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoneyBags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 7:12am
About that Tower of Babel.

I'm curious about what you mean.

Do you think that the tower used to exist as mentioned in Genesis?

Meaning that there actually existed a tower with people trying to reach Heaven, and that this is actually possible? 

Or do you believe that the tower was just a city built by people who shared one language, and that this is how we can explain people speaking different languages?

I just gotta ask because apparently some folks believe in unicorns around this joint. 
Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 7:35am
Originally posted by MoneyBags MoneyBags wrote:


I just gotta ask because apparently some folks believe in unicorns around this joint. 


What belief in unicorns isn't ok with you?










Back to Top
cmsquare View Drop Down
Voice Council
Voice Council
Avatar

Joined: Sep 30 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 8186
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 7:39am
Originally posted by retiredmilitary retiredmilitary wrote:

 

Garden of Eden is believed to be ......

 

Little history on Sadam Hussain he believed....

 

Keep in mind the info on the tower of babel is as told to me from an Iraqi and their beliefs.




Oh...they believed.  It must be true then.  I mean it just MUST be.

Do they believe in unicorns too?  

If I believe I can fly can I?

I mean no offense but we are talking about real things here.  People tell me Machu Picchu exists and i can go see it with my own eyes.  Same with the pyramids.  These things when you see them are undeniable.  The only sites I see referencing the ruins of the tower of babble are all creationists based religious sites.  Why is that?


Back to Top
MFD50 View Drop Down
Prominent Voice Citizen
Prominent Voice Citizen


Joined: Dec 24 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2182
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFD50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 10:16am
Jrock, I can see your ignorance of the Bible. I too was this way until I gave my life to Jesus and He gave me the Holy Spirit which began to explain some of these seeming contradictions. If you were willing to confess your sins and accept Jesus as your Saviour and God's Son that gave His life for us on the cross so we can live eternally with Him in Paradise then you too will start to learn of the mysteries of the Bible. I will attempt to explain some of these that you have posted.
 Exodus is a song by the Israelites singing to God about Moses and God saving them from the Egyptians. Romans explains what God is for He is a God of peace and He gives you the only true peace in the world.  
 
In John; Jesus, the Father God, and the Holy Spirit are one. Yet the Father is over the Son. Just like a household where there is the father and two sons. The father is over both sons yet there is one older son and a younger son where they both have a vested interest in the house and the protection thereof.
 
In Genesis Gods explains that Noah shall take two of each unclean animal and seven of each clean animal. How do you know which are clean and unclean? In Leviticus 11 they were taught the following
 Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves and chewing the cud—that you may eat. Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves: the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; the rock hyrax, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch. They are unclean to you.
 
In Numbers you confuse the word 'meek' with the word 'weak'. Just because Christians are 'meek' does not mean they are 'weak' but it means they are 'humble'. Just because they refuse to revolt at times and allow themselves to be harmed it is for the glory of God. All the Apostles were injured and all but one was martyred. This action brought thousands of people to Christ because they wanted what the Apostles had and were willing to die for. Just like Christ died for us. Do you not think the Son of God could have come off the cross and killed every person that did not believe in Him. He could have assembled an army of angels that would have wiped the earth clean (and one day He will). But instead He chose to give His life away so that we can have His saving grace. Seems kind of odd doesn't it? But God's ways are not our ways.
 
 Psalms are prayers and songs and they are singing that the righteous will flourish and we will. It will be at the end of time and we are all in Heaven and there will be a new Earth that we will live with God forever. And Isaiah is a prophet that predicts the end of this earth and the rapture where all the righteous will be taken up to heaven by Jesus leaving all the non-believers to suffer through the Tribulation period (a time of trials and suffering of 3.5 years).
 
And finally what you have quoted in Matthew, Luke, and John is the crucifixion where Christ is suffering. Where He says "Why have you forsaken me?" He has never been separated from God but at this point God has put all sin (past, present, and future) on Christ's body and since God cannot be where sin is He has separated Himself from the Son until He delivers the sin back to Satan.  Which He does go into Purgatory or Hell and redeem those that believe He is the Christ. So just before He dies He tells God and those standing near that He is going back to the Father that sent Him with "I commend my spirit" and then He tells them "It is finished." which pertains to His work here on earth. He is leaving after doing what the Father sent Him to do and He will be sending the Holy Spirit to replace Him. Now since He was only one person He could only be in one place at one time but the Holy Spirit since He does not rely on our physical laws can be everywhere at once. So everyone that believes can have the Holy Spirit within them and communicate with God at any time.
 
I hope this answers your quotes in the most basic way I could think of. There is a lot more to it. More than I know at this point as I am learning more everyday and every time I read my Bible and God reveals more of His plan to me. It is a very exciting time in the life of a Christian as we can see God getting more and more ready to send His Son back for us. It may not be in my lifetime but it is close as all the predictions from the old prophets have been completed except the signing of a peace accord between Israel and their enemies. And that you can see is coming.  
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

The Voice | Weather | Advertisers | Advertising Information | Lending Library | Monroe Church Directory

Archived Monroe News From: 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011

Website Design © Xponex Web and Media Services | Contact | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2012 MainStreetMonroe.com